CS 619: Advances in DBMS
User interfaces: forms, graphics, semi-graphics, spread sheet, natural language.
Query optimization: techniques like query modification;
Object oriented databases: notion of abstract data type, object oriented systems, object oriented db design.
Expert data bases: use of rules of deduction in data bases, recursive rules.
Fuzzy data bases: fuzzy set & fuzzy logic, use of fuzzy techniques to define inexact and incomplete data bases.
Books and References:
- W. Kim,Modern Database Systems, Addison Wesley Pub. Co., 1995.
- W. Kim.Introduction to Object Oriented Databases, MIT Press, 1992.
- J.D. Ullman.Principles of Database and Knowledge Base Systems, Vol I & II, Computer Science Press, 1988.
- J. Minker (Editor).Foundation of Deductive Databases and Logic Programming.
- In addition research papers, monographs and conference proceeding will be used.