1. The CSE lab is equipped with a 1 gbps switched network with a tree topology. All systems (servers & clients) are equipped with 1 gbps NICs. A CISCO Catalyst 3750G Series Layer-3 switch acts as a backbone switch. The lab is connected to the campus network through a router. The connectivity between CSE and the institute Computer Center is through fiber optic cable. A total of 50 switches (24 ports each) each having 1 gbps speed cover the both CSE buildings. Department has two server rooms which are full with different kinds of servers. These server rooms also have specific project based servers & systems.
2. Recently CSE lab has deployed one cloud "Vyomkesh" which has currently 20 compute nodes having dual Xeon 6 core CPUs with 48 GB RAM each. It supports 240 physical (480 logical) cores with 960 GB RAM. Soon capacity will be enhanced. Currently M.Tech, MTI & Ph.D students are using this system. A system course having 125 students will use Vyomkesh first time.
3. Lab has successfully installed one private cloud. The private cloud is an Open Stack based which uses Cent OS 7 as base OS.
4. CSE lab has deployed one cloud "Vyomkesh" which has currently 24 compute nodes having dual Xeon 6 core CPUs with 127 GB RAM each. It supports 240 physical (480 logical) cores with 1.7 TB RAM. Currently MTech, MTI & PhD students are using this system.
5. Most of the servers and work stations are Linux based. Windows is also available as an option on lab workstations. Most of the servers are LXC based virtual hosts.
6. Lab has successfully installed one private cloud. Soon we have a plan to shift our most of the facilities over HA cloud. The private cloud is an Open Stack based which uses Cent OS 7 as base OS>
7. The department offers key based authentication for user authentication and secure access to all its online services.
8. Around 50 wireless access points (54 Mbps) are placed in the building to serve wireless access needs.
9. The CSE lab provides NFS, SMTP mail, DNS, DHCP, LDAP, MariaDB database server, Intranet website, Internet website and NTP services. One Linux based server provides DNS, LDAP, DHCP & NTP services.
10. The CSE lab offers its own mail service. A quota system is in place for mail boxes. Mail box backup service is also available till last 1/2 hours.
11. Linux servers provide secured/insecure NFS service to all CSE lab users. Backup facility is available for secured area for last 3 months. Some important backups are kept for longer time also. Soon we are shifting to Bacula backup system.
12. CSE Lab systems and servers are managed by Puppet. Network health management is through Nagios.
13. Several Linux based servers are available for general purpose usage
14. Two High end servers are available for students for image processing projects.
15. Access to home directories for all users is available through any machine using NFS and samba. B.Tech/M.Tech students avail 3 GB and Ph.D students avail 30 GB disk quota.
16. Intranet website and MySQL server services are offered on a Linux server.
17. Internet website & personal home pages are hosted on a Linux based Virtual server.
18. Scanning & CD/DVD Writing facility is available in the CSE lab.
19. Most CSE lab workstations are multi boot systems. These systems use DHCP for static IP allocation. Currently the lab workstations are running the Cent OS, Debian and students run Windows and/or Linux on their personal systems.
20. All PCs in personal offices are equipped with duplex laser printer, DVD player etc.
21. All M.Tech/Ph.D rooms are equipped with duplex network laser printers. Every Ph.D student has equipped with one personal system. Evert M.Tech student is provided one personal PC.
22. Central Networked laser printers are available through a central laser printing facility accessible through a ppr (with printing quota) system).
23. The lab is fully air conditioned with UPS protection against power outages. A 60 minute backup is available for lab client systems and a 2 hour backup is for all server systems and room PCs.
24. Daily automatic backup is available for the user home directory. Additionally, backups are also makde available for the last 30 days.
25. Monthly backup is available for the last three months.
26. Internet service and SMTP gateway service is provided by (Computer Centre (CC)). The department also draws upon the computing resources available at the Institute's Computer Centre.
27. Official Linux Mirror