The CSE Department, IIT Kanpur is committed to stop the use of unfair means in
academic activities. The following policy outlines measures to deal
with cases of cheating/dishonesty in academics (course work, research work).
This document defines the departmental policy to address such events.
However, an instructor can always decide on a stricter punishment.
Use of unfair means in course-work:
- If a student cheats or uses unfair means in a course,
- The student will get an F in the course.
- The student will not be allowed to drop the course.
- The name of the student will be made public to the students of the course.
- A complaint will be sent to SSAC for disciplinary action.
- An intimation will be sent to DoAA to be kept in the student's record.
- The matter will be referred to the departmental ethics committee.
- A repeat offender, even if not caught earlier, will be given stricter punishment.
- All applicable actions of the previous point will be taken.
- The information will be shared with everyone in the department.
- The department will recommend termination.
Use of unfair means in research-work:
For research work submitted as a member of CSE department, plagiarism and fake data will be considered a very serious case of dishonesty.
- Near-verbatim copying from any source (Internet, books, articles, etc.).
- Rephrasing from another source (including one's own published work) without adequate citations.
- For more details see https://www.acm.org/publications/policies/plagiarism_policy.
- Fake-data: Use of fake-data in any research work is considered a serious offense.
If anyone is found guilty, even after completion of their degree, necessary actions will be taken by the department and the institute.
Actions taken by the department:
- The department ethics committee will investigate all matters of academic dishonesty and recommend appropriate actions to the concerned institute authorities.
- The department will maintain a list of all offenders which will be shared with all faculty members.
- No recommendations/awards will be given to the offenders.