The Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology
Kanpur (IIT Kanpur) was the first department in India to start Computer Science education.
It started in August 1963 with an IBM 1620 system - a novelty then, even in many North
American and European universities. The department runs BTech, MTech and PhD programs and is
engaged in cutting edge research with sponsored projects and consultancies. Many of the
nation's leading experts, educationists and consultants in computer science today are
the alumni of this department.
Events/ Seminar Corner
- IIT Kanpur Computer Science Department is hosting 14th ACM-IEEE International Conference on Formal Methods and Models for System Design (MEMOCODE 2016) at the IIT Kanpur Outreach Center between November 18 and Nov 20, 2016. The detailed program can be found here.
- IIT Kanpur Computer Science Department just successfully organized Cyber Security Awareness Week with multiple competitive events where students from various Indian institutes participated. The main events were capture-the-flag, applied research competition, and embedded security challenge.
- SIGML will celebrate a "Machine Learning Research Day" with more than a dozen seminars on cutting edge developements in the field. Saturday, August 28th, 2016. 1000 hrs onwards, RM101. [Poster]
- Seminar on "Deep Learning based Large Scale Visual Recommendation and Visual Semantic Embedding for E-Commerce" by Krishnendu Chaudhury, Flipkart Bangalore on Monday August 29th at 1700 hrs in RM101. [Abstract]
- IIT Kanpur Computer Science Department will organize CSAW (Cyber Security Awareness Week) concurrently with the Tandon School of Engineering at New York University, and New York University at Abu-Dhabi during November 8-10, 2016. CSAW is a worldwide cyber security competition, and all Indian participants will be hosted at IIT Kanpur, and five different competitive events related to cyber-security will be held at IIT Kanpur along with NYU. All Indian institutes are welcome to partipate at this international event at IIT Kanpur.
- Arnab Ghosh, Viveka Kulharia, Amitabha Mukerjee, Vinay P. Namboodiri and Mohit Bansal, "Contextual RNN-GANs for Abstract Reasoning Diagram Generation" AAAI 2017.
- Rahul Arora, Ishan Darolia, Vinay P. Namboodiri, Karan Singh and Adrien Bousseau,"SketchSoup: Exploratory Ideation using Design Sketches" Computer Graphics Forum, accepted, to appear.
- Yeshi Dolma and Vinay P. Namboodiri, "Using Gaussian Processes to Improve Zero-Shot Learning with Relative Attributes" ACCV 2016.
- Piyush Rai, Non-negative Inductive Matrix Completion for Discrete Dyadic Data, AAAI 2017
- A. Aggarwal, S. Ghoshal, A. M S, S. Sinha, G.Ramakrishnan, Purushottam Kar and P. Jain, Scalable Optimization of Multivariate Performance Measures in Multi-instance Multi-label Learning, AAAI 2017.
- Sudhanshu Shukla and Mainak Chaudhuri. Tiny Directory: Efficient Shared Memory in Many-core Systems with Ultra-low-overhead Coherence Tracking. HPCA 2017.
- Jayesh Gaur, Mainak Chaudhuri, Pradeep Ramachandran, Sreenivas Subramoney. Near-optimal Access Partitioning for Memory Hierarchies with Multiple Heterogeneous Bandwidth Sources. HPCA 2017.
- Era Jain, Subhajit Roy. Phase Directed Compiler Optimizations. HiPC 2016.
- W. Pan, H. Narasimhan, Purushottam Kar, P. Protopapas, H. G. Ramaswamy, Optimizing the Multiclass F-measure via Biconcave Programming, ICDM 2016.
- Prakhar Banga, Atul R Pai, Subhajit Roy, Mainak Chaudhuri. Accelerating Schedule Space Exploration of Multi-threaded Programs with GPUs. MEMOCODE 2016.
- Prachi Josi, Vedahari Narasimhan G., Haibo Zeng, Sandeep K. Shukla, Chung-Wei Lin, Huafeng Yu, "Design Space Exploration for Time-Triggered Ethernet-based Architecture of Automotive Systems", IEEE HLDVT 2016.
- Rohan Bavishi, Awanish Pandey, Subhajit Roy. To Be Precise: Regression Aware Debugging. OOPSLA 2016.
- J. Leeka, S. Bedathur, D. Bera, M. Atre, Quark-X: An Efficient Top-K Processing Framework for RDF Quad Stores, in 25th ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM), Indianapolis, IN, USA, 2016
- Trading Determinism for Time in Space Bounded Computations. Vivek Anand T Kallampally and Raghunath Tewari. MFCS 2016.
- Algebraic independence over positive characteristic: New criterion and applications to locally low algebraic rank circuits. Anurag Pandey, Nitin Saxena and Amit Sinhababu. MFCS'16
- Integer factoring using small algebraic dependencies. Manindra Agrawal, Nitin Saxena and Shubham Sahai Srivastava. MFCS'16
- Purushottam Kar, S. Li., H. Narasimhan, S. Chawla, and F. Sebastiani, Online Optimization Methods for the Quantification Problem, KDD 2016.
- Keerti Choudhary, Optimal dual fault tolerant reachability oracle. ICALP 2016 [Best student paper award].
- Medha Atre. For the DISTINCT clause of SPARQL queries, in 25th ACM International World Wide Web conference (WWW), Montreal, Canada, 2016
- Sven C. Muller, Hanno Georg, James Nutaro, Edmund Widl, Yi Deng, Peter Palensky, Muhammad Awais, Moustafa Chenine, Markus Kuch, Mathias Shifter, Hua Lin, Sandeep Shukla, Christian Wietfelf, Christian Rehtanz, Christian Dufour, Xiaoyu Wang, Venkata Dinavahi, Md, Omar Faruque, Wenchao Meng, Shichao Liu, Antonello Monti, Ming Ni, Ali Davoudi, Ali Mehrizi-Sani, "Interfacing Power System and ICT Simulators: Challenges, State-of-the-Art, and Case Studies", accepted for IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid.
- Kamlesh Tiwari and Phalguni Gupta, "Meandering Energy Potential to Locate Singular Point of Fingerprint", ICB 2016
- Improving GPU Performance Through Resource Sharing, Vishwesh Jatala, Jayvant Anantpur & Amey Karkare, 25th Symposium on High-Performance Parallel and Distributed Computing (HPDC), 2016
- Shubhendu Aggarwal, Shubhadip Mitra and Arnab Bhattacharya, "SkyCover: Finding Range-Constrained Approximate Skylines with Bounded Quality Guarantees", COMAD 2016
- Streaming algorithms for embedding and computing edit distance in the low distance regime.
Diptarka Chakraborty, Elazar Goldenberg, and Michal Kouck. STOC 2016.
- Fault Tolerant Subgraph for Single Source Reachability: Generic and Optimal.
Surender Baswana, Keerti Choudhary, and Liam Roditty. STOC 2016.
- Identity Testing for constant-width, and commutative, read-once oblivious ABPs. Rohit Gurjar, Arpita Korwar and Nitin Saxena. CCC 2016.
- Bipartite Perfect Matching is in quasi-NC. Stephen Fenner, Rohit Gurjar, and Thomas Thierauf. STOC 2016.
- Resource Sharing for GPUs, Vishwesh Jatala, Jayvant Anantpur & Amey Karkare, Code Generation and Optimization (CGO, Poster Track), Barcelona, Spain, 2016.
- Program Synthesis Using Natural Language, by Aditya Desai, Sumit Gulwani, Vineet Hingorani, Nidhi Jain, Amey Karkare, Mark Marron, Sailesh R, Subhajit Roy, at ICSE 2016
- ParseIT: A Tool for Teaching Parsing Techniques, Amey Karkare and Nimisha Agarwal, SIGCSE 2016 (Demo Track)
- John Narayan, Sandeep K. Shukla, and T. Charles Clancy. 2015. A Survey of Automatic Protocol Reverse Engineering Tools. ACM Comput. Surv. 48, 3, Article 40 (December 2015), 26 pages. DOI=http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2840724
- Surender Baswana, Shreejit Ray Chaudhury, Keerti Choudhary, Shahbaz Khan. Dynamic DFS Tree in Undirected Graphs: Breaking the O(m) barrier. SODA 2016.
- Prof. Sandeep Shukla will deliver invited talk at the 2nd CSE day at IIT Hyderabad's Computer Science Department on October 22, 2016.
- CSAW Competition moves to final phase. Finalists for Capture-the-flag competition announced. Press release from IITK. Press release from NYU.
- Prof. Sandeep K. Shukla will be an invited speaker at the SCSC Cyber Security Conclave 2.0 on Nov 22-23, 2016.
- Prof. Sandeep K. Shukla will be the keynote speaker at the IEEE Globecomm workshop on Cyber Physical Smart Grid Security and Resilience on December 4, 2016 at IEEE Globecomm taking place in Washington DC, USA.
- The Center for Cyber Security for Critical Infrastructures at the Computer Science Department of IIT Kanpur, and The Blavatnik Interdisciplinary Center for Cyber Security (ICRC) at the Tel Aviv University, Israel signed an MOU to cooperate on Cyber Security research and education through faculty and student exchanges for five years. Press coverage -- Times of India, Business Standard.
- Prof. Sandeep Shukla will address the the chief of the Air Staff, and Air Force Commanders of Central Air Command at Air Force Station Bamrauli, Allahabad on December 14, 2016 on Cyber Security: Cyber Vulnerabilities,Cyber warfare, and Roadmaps.
- Prof. Sandeep Shukla will deliver keynote at the 6th IEEE International Symposium on Embedded Systems and Systems Design (ISED'16) in December 2016.
- New York University Tandon School of Engineering, New York University at Abu Dhabi, and IIT Kanpur Computer Science are jointly organizing Cyber Security Awareness Week competitions (CSAW) in November 2016. The IIT Kanpur made a press release on CSAW this week.
- The complete video of the Workshop on Side Channel Analysis based Cyber Attacks and Mitigation Techniques (WOSCA) is now available on-line here.
- Prof. Manindra Agarwal is elected as a Foreign associate of the US National Academy of Sciences.
- Prof. Nitin Saxena has been awarded the DST Swarnajayanti Fellowship.
- Purushottam Kar is awarded IUPRAI Doctoral Dissertation Award.